So I’m bringing you another tasty instant pot chicken wing recipe! This one was so delicious! You’ve got to try Instant Pot Taco Chicken Wings! I cooked them very similarly to the ones I made in Maryland Old Bay Instant Pot Chicken Wings. But I used a completely different flavor profile. My husband says he likes both, but I actually preferred this one.
*This post contains affiliate links/ads so I may receive compensation if you choose to click on them and make a purchase. But it won’t affect your cost. See Disclosures/Policies.
For the wing ingredients it’s pretty simple. All I used was a 4-lb bag of chicken wings from Aldi’s grocery store. I also used 2 packets of taco seasoning from that store. It didn’t take the entire amount of both packets, but just one wasn’t enough. For my sauce I used Old El Paso Red Enchilda sauce. How easy is that?
First allow the chicken wings to thaw. Then pat away excess water with a paper towel. This makes the seasoning easier to put on. I rubbed each chicken all over with the taco seasoning. Then I placed them on a baking tray. I recommend allowing them to sit at least 30 minutes to an hour on the tray before cooking. Put the tray in the fridge.
Then prepare your Instant Pot! For cooking the wings you will need a steamer basket of some type. I have one I picked up at the thrift store for $2. But I first set my little rack in the bottom of the instant pot. Then I poured a cup of water into the inner pot. After that I piled all the wings into the steamer basket and placed it down inside the instant pot.
Now set the lid onto the instant pot and turn it into place. Make sure the black valve is turned to “sealing”. Using the manual button, program your instant pot for 10 minutes of high pressure. When it is finished cooking the pot will beep and you can turn the valve to “venting” to do a quick pressure release. Just use a silicone spatula to turn the valve to protect your fingers from the steam. Pull the steamer basket of wings out of your instant pot and set on a plate.
Then open your can of red enchilda sauce. Using tongs or whatever method works best for you, dip each wing in the enchilda sauce. My husband actually did this part for me, as I was trying to work on a cheese sauce and cook dinner. He used a spoon to help get the sauce over the wings. The wings should be a placed on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Set your oven to Broil which is 500* on mine. Broil the wings for 5 minutes. Then pull the tray out and flip all the wings over. Broil them again for another 5 minutes on the other side. Here’s what they look like then. Yum!
You can just chow down now if you like, they were delicious by themselves. But if you want, I also made a cheese sauce using Pepper Jack cheese. The first time, it came out too grainy, like I had messed up on the flour amount. So I did a bit of online research on cheese sauce recipes, and attempted to re-create my sauce later with better results the second time. It still wasn’t perfect, but try it if you like. I tweaked the amounts of ingredients I used.
Here’s what to do. In a sauce pan on low heat melt two tablespoons of butter. Try not to brown it. Add two tablespoons all-purpose flour. Combine the two well, and allow them to get a little bubbly. Then pour in a cup of milk. I advise using a whisk to prevent lumps when mixing in the milk. Now some recipes say to allow your milk to heat and thicken before adding your cheese. I usually don’t wait, but maybe I would have better results if I did. 🙂
I added a half teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper. I also had freshly grated half a block of Pepper Jack cheese or about 4 oz and dumped that in. Then I added a half cup of grated cheddar cheese. That wasn’t freshly grated, but some recipes say you get better results if it is. Stir the cheese in the milk till mostly melted. Remember to stir constantly so it doesn’t stick on the bottom. Remove from the heat and continue to stir till thoroughly melted and combined. Serve with your instant pot taco chicken wings!
For easy reference I have the recipe in printable form below. I hope you enjoy these chicken wings and more adventures cooking with your instant pot. Please let me know in the comments if you enjoyed this recipe!
- For Wings:
- 4 lb bag of chicken wings
- 2 packets of taco seasoning
- 1 can (10 oz) El Paso red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup water (for steaming wings)
- non-stick cooking spray
- For Cheese sauce:
- 2 TB butter
- 2 TB all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 oz grated Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Thaw chicken wings.
- Pat dry with paper towel.
- Rub wings with taco seasoning then place on baking tray.
- Allow wings to rest in fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- Place rack inside the inner pot of your instant pot or electric pressure cooker.
- Add the cup of water.
- Stack wings in steamer basket.
- Set steamer basket inside instant pot.
- Lock lid into place with venting handle turned to "sealing".
- Using manual button set high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When instant pot beeps do a quick pressure release and remove steamer basket.
- Place the basket on a plate or something similar.
- Spray a baking tray with non-stick spray.
- Dip each wing in red enchilada sauce and coat thoroughly, then set on tray.
- Broil the wings for 5 minutes in oven at 500*
- Flip wings over and broil 5 more minutes on other side.
- Remove wings from oven and serve hot.
- To make Cheese Sauce:
- Melt butter on low temp.
- Add flour and combine well, using whisk if necessary.
- When flour is bubbly, add cup of milk. Increase temp to medium or medium high.
- Use whisk to stir constantly and prevent lumps.
- When milk is heated, add salt, pepper, and cheeses.
- Cook till cheese is mostly melted and remove from heat.
- Continue to stir till cheese finishes melting and is well combined in sauce.
- Serve on the side with the wings.